The EVA is a
twenty-eight foot wooden gill-netter built in 1937. She is
powered by an original two
cylinder Easthope engine. Easthope
was a local company that manufactured some of the first gasoline
engines used to power the West Coast fishing fleet and became a
legend in the industry.
Al Mason, a former resident made an interesting trade with
Gus Jacobson, a Finnish fisher with long ties to Finn Slough. Al
agreed to trade a working scale model (29.5 inches) of the
EVA for the
real thing (29.5 feet). Gus had been looking for a good home for
the boat ever since he transferred the EVA's fishing license to his
present gill-netter. This was because of a change in the fishing regulations
when area fishing was set up on the West Coast. Al, a shipwright
who had repaired EVA in the past, had his eye on the boat for
years and jumped at the chance to take ownership. When Al moved away from
the Slough he made sure the EVA went to Kevin, another Finn Slough resident who
has upgraded her moorings among many other things.
In the photo below Bob is loading a gillnet onto the EVA.
The nets are stored and repaired on racks in the net-shed to the right.
Perhaps difficult to see, just below the second porthole is the exhaust
for the EASTHOPE two cylinder gas engine. The distinctive pop-pop-pop
is a sound from the past. The first power plant in this boat was the 8-12
horsepower model weighing in at 400 pounds. In the nineteen-forty's it was switched
to a 10-18 HP model weighing almost twice as much. This engine is still in use today.
EVA moves through the
In the video
below Al is bringing the
1939 classic fish boat EVA
down from its winter cradle
at Finn Slough for the
summer. To get through the
wooden drawbridge to Gilmour
Island it is necessary to
remove five planks, so David
is lifting the last one just
in time. Hear that sound?
That is the sound of EVA's
classic make and break two
cylinder Easthope gas